Saturday, September 3, 2011

PROTEGE OR THE VOICE?




One show that I’ve been watching for a couple of weeks now is The Voice currently seen on AXN.  Yes, it’s another singing contest but the way it differs from American Idol is that instead of judges they have coaches.  The coaches are composed of singing superstars Christina Aguilera, Cee Lo Green, Blake Shelton and Adam Levine.  The idea is they will each create a stable of artists that they will mentor and have them compete for the viewers’ vote. I really enjoyed the process of how they create their stables. The coaches have their backs turned from the stage so that it’s only the artists’ voice that they can hear (hence, the title of the show).  If they liked what they hear, they will press a button so that their chairs will turn to the stage.  If only one of the four turns, he/she gets the artist.  If more than one makes the turn, the artist gets to pick which coach’s stable he/she would like to join.

Tonight, GMA7 will debut a new show called Protégé.  The press releases call it a “one-of-a-kind singing contest” neglecting the fact that it was obviously patterned after The Voice.  In Protégé, 10 local singers will search the country to find a singer/s that they will mentor and have him/her/them compete with the other mentors’ talents.  I’m looking forward to see this show and I hope that it will succeed not only ratings-wise but also for GMA7 to finally have a singing contest winner that people will really care about.  Pinoy Pop Superstar, Pinoy Idol and Are You The Next Big Star didn’t really create a Sarah Geronimo or a Yeng Constantino or even an Angeline Quinto for the Kamuning based station.

A dilemma for me is that Protégé will air at almost the same time with The Voice.  The Voice airs two episodes every Sunday night from 8-10.  There is a 9 PM replay on Monday and Tuesday but I can’t wait that long.  I’ll watch both shows and if I missed certain parts then it’s either I’ll see the replays or find it online.  Thank God for the Internet.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer "The Voice." I find it more enjoyable to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete