Saturday, November 12, 2011

MY FIRST TIME TO WATCH A MOVIE


If asked what was the first movie they ever saw, most people would answer something of the family fare type.  Your lolos and lolas would say The Wizard of Oz or The Sound of Music.  Your parents may say ET or The Lion King.  Today’s kids’ first movie will most probably be from Pixar (in 3D or IMAX).

My first movie is horror.  Not just a scary movie but a gruesome, gory horror movie.  It’s called Zuma.  Zuma is a tall, green, muscular bald monster with a two-headed snake resting on his shoulders that eats the hearts of virgin women.  I saw it with my mom, my younger brother (also his first) and a tita in the no longer existing Aliw Theater Nova.  I remember refusing to go inside the dark theatre, playing a tug-of-war with my mom.  Once seated, I managed to keep my eyes open to look at then what I thought was the biggest TV screen I’ve seen in my young life. I say “managed” because there were a couple of times that I’ll bury my face in my hands or on my mom’s arm everytime a scary scene was on.

But now my brother thinks that what we actually saw was not Zuma but its sequel Galema: Ang Anak ni Zuma.  Galema is a beautiful woman with snakes for hair much like Medusa or Valentina.  She is at odds with Zuma because unlike her dear old dad killing is not her thing.  I think we first saw this film on free TV.  Brother said he saw it again on cable.

I hope to see both films again.  Whatever is the real first movie we saw, we both agree that Zuma was a part of our childhood.  We’ll definitely be at arms if there are ever plans of reviving the Zuma character.

If you’re asking what’s the next movie we saw the answer is Mga Kuwento ni Lola Basyang starring Chichay in the title role.  I don’t know if watching Zuma damaged our young psyche in anyway but if it did I think Lola Basyang repaired it somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment